Decluttering when Moving to Hong Kong
What you need from a single to multi-MoveCube
Moving abroad is an exciting chapter in anyone’s life but before you start unravelling the bubble-wrap and assembling the packing boxes, stop for a moment and think about all the items you’re planning to take with you to Hong Kong. Do you really need it all? Remember the more you take, the more you pay. So here are a few tips about decluttering before you begin your new life in Hong Kong.
- First of all, you may want to think twice about packing woolly winter clothes and looking at other options such as storage or selling. Label that cashmere sweater 'non-essential'.
- If you have expansive, alphabetised CD and DVD collections, we advise not to take it all with you. These collections are heavy, expensive to ship and, let’s be honest, largely redundant in this age of streaming and downloading!
- Don’t waste money shipping your old furniture overseas such as armchairs, sofas, chests of drawers and wardrobes. Treat yourself to new items when you arrive at your new destination! Naturally if you choose to sell your old furniture, you’ll be providing yourself with a financial platform for buying replacements.
- If you’re moving electrical items like flatscreen televisions to the Hong Kong, you may also want to consider the electrical power differences. There’s no point shipping such a large electrical item abroad if it’s not going to function correctly! Also, if you choose to adapt your television for your new country, you could invalidate the warranty.
Now we know what you're thinking: If I sell a lot of household items before I move, I'm going to need to do a fair bit of shopping when I get to my new home. This is true. So here are a few reputed retail names in Hong Kong you may want to make a note of:
- Fortress - Small and home appliances
- Bosch - Kitchen appliances
- Stockroom - Furniture
- Electrolux - Home and electrical appliances
- Decor8 - Furniture
- Westwing Appliances - Kitchen appliances
- Habitat - Home furnishings
For more information on decluttering check out the video below from our resident expert.
No articles were found.