Skip to the content

Things you need to know when shipping to the USA

You will need to log into your account in order to complete our online documentation which includes:

  • Inventory, recording the contents of your shipment;
  • Insurance to protect your shipment in case of mishap.
  • Customs forms for the clearance of your shipment into the USA.

You will need to upload scans of your passport - the picture page, the signature page and if applicable, a copy of your visa, at the final stage of the process.

There are helpful pointers all throughout but you must be completely accurate with the information you enter as these forms will be presented to the authorities at the destination

Packing a box

Importing your personal effects and household items

Your shipment of personal effects and household items can be imported duty-free if:

  1. You are a returning US citizen:
    a. All personal effects or household items must be owned and used for at least 12 months prior to you importing them.

  2. You are a student or visitor or entering with a long-term visa:
    a. If you are travelling into the USA using ETSA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation) which applies to all VWP (Visa Waiver Program) travellers, then the following documents are required to import your shipment:
    i. Acceptance letter (Authorisation Approved Application) is required prior to your shipment being sent from the country of origin.
    ii. The arrival stamp page on your passport when you arrive in the US. We need this sent to us at least 14 days prior to the arrival of your shipment.
    b. If you are travelling to the US under I797 (Approval Notice) or I29S (Petition for the Non-immigrant Worker) then you are required to provide a copy of one of these documents prior to your shipment being sent from the origin country.
    c. If you are travelling to the US under K1 (Non-immigrant Visa for a Fiancé) If you have arrived after 90 days, you must provide the official marriage certificate and passport of spouse.
    d. All personal items and household item must be for your personal use during your stay.

You must be in the USA when your shipment of personal effects and household items arrives.

If you are a returning US citizen you do not need to be in the country, but you must be able to provide transportation details for your future travel that includes date, flight number and airline details on your customs documents.

Importing inheritance items and works of art

Your inherited items can be imported duty-free provided you can show that the items were part of your household whilst you grew up.

You can import works of art duty-free as part of your shipment of personal effects and household items for a period not greater than 1 year and as long as they are not intended for resale.

Prohibited goods

We make importing and relocating to the USA easy. See our comprehensive list of items you cannot send to the United States along with any service based restrictions.

This page was last updated on 1st July 2021.

Don't take our word for it

Our customers love us!