The introduction of a new customs system at the Port of Surabaya is severely delaying the clearance of shipments to Indonesia. Please check our Global Shipping Statuses page for updates — we apologise for any inconvenience
Why choose Seven Seas Worldwide
Purpose-built shipping boxes and materials provided
Trusted with your shipments for over 25 years
Pick your own dates for shipment delivery and collection
Enjoy 2 weeks FREE storage before and after shipping
We handle the quarantine and customs clearance process
Moving out of your family home for the first time is a daunting experience, especially if you're leaving to complete higher education overseas. While we're sure it won't take you long to make friends and get accustomed to your new surroundings, bringing your most treasured possessions along on your adventure makes settling in much easier.
Fortunately, Seven Seas Worldwide's student moving services simplify international shipping, eliminating the frustration and extra costs of transporting mountains of luggage on long-haul flights. Whether you need your goods transported to university at the start of your studies or returned to Malaysia at the end of term, our friendly team has been helping students ship boxes and bags for over 25 years. From door-to-door delivery and collection to acquiring customs clearance, we're here to assist with every step of the process, and our services cover countless Malaysian destinations, including Kuala Lumpur, George Town, Kota Kinabalu, Kuching, Malacca City, Ipoh, Muar, Taiping, Johor Bahru and many others.
Trusted student shipping to Malaysia for over 25 years
As former undergrads ourselves, we understand college students have more important things to fret over than the intricacies of getting their personal effects from A to B, like smashing their exams and making lifelong friends. That's why we strive to make our process as straightforward and stress-free as possible so that when you ship bags and boxes to Malaysia with us, you don't have to worry about a thing.
From providing top-quality packing materials to offering two weeks of free storage on either side, so you don't have to rush your journey, there are countless reasons why we're one of the best student shipping companies in the country. Here are three of the main perks of using our moving services:
- Budget-friendly prices: at Seven Seas Worldwide, we don't like nasty surprise fees and pride ourselves on providing 100% transparency. We've designed our instant free online quotation tool to clearly itemise our student shipping process, listing the included charges for transportation, warehouse handling, customs documentation, etc. Plus, we never ask for full payment upfront — instead, we spread the cost by charging in affordable instalments.
- Flexible shipping services: whether you've decided to try a different course at another uni or are considering taking a year off to travel, plans change, especially when you're an international student. Luckily our moving services are entirely flexible, meaning at any point during your studies, you can arrange affordable storage at one of our secure facilities, request your possessions be sent to an alternative location or ship luggage back to Malaysia.
- Book online in seconds: our student luggage shipping service is built around convenience. Rather than dragging your personal items back and forth to ports and depots, all you need to do is get your no-obligation quote and confirm your purchase using our straightforward booking tool. You'll then choose a suitable date for us to drop off your packing materials and collect your shipment, fill in the paperwork available through your online account and let us handle the rest.
From providing top-quality packing materials to offering two weeks of free storage on either side, so you don't have to rush your journey, there are countless reasons why we're one of the best student shipping companies in the country.
How our international student shipping service works
Free online quick quote
Our instant quote tool provides a clear, itemised cost with no hidden fees or nasty surprises.
Pick your dates
When placing your order, choose the materials delivery and shipment collection dates that suit you.
Securely pack your items
We deliver your empty shipping boxes or MoveCube®, ready for you to fill.
We collect and ship
Complete the online documentation. Then we'll transport your shipment to its destination.
Delivered to your address
Our team will clear your goods through customs and deliver them safely to your new home.
We provide quality shipping boxes and packing materials
Instead of adding "find suitable packing materials" to your ever-growing to-do list, our student moving company can provide everything you need to wrap your belongings securely, including bubble wrap, parcel tape and shipping boxes. Plus, all our supplies are industry-approved and of the highest quality. We even have our containers manufactured to our exact specifications from double-walled, chemically-hardened cardboard to provide your personal effects with the utmost protection on their overseas trip.
Our moving boxes come in various shapes and sizes to accommodate all the items you might need for university life, including sports equipment, laptops and computers, and musical instruments. But, the two main carton sizes available are Large and Standard (please see below for their dimensions). Do note, though, for both our customers and driver's safety, we can't accept boxes weighing over 30kg/66lbs, so we suggest ordering plenty and splitting heavier items between several containers. If you have any left at the end, we'll collect them free of charge as long as they are in a good, reusable condition.
61 x 51 x 41cm / 24 x 20 x 16.14 inches
51 x 41 x 31cm / 20 x 16.14 x 12.2 inches
- Files and papers
- Kitchen utensils
FAQs about student shipping to Malaysia from Hong Kong
Our international shipping service for students is designed to be as convenient as possible, allowing busy graduates to book the entire process in just a couple of clicks and with minimal effort. Here's how it works in three straightforward steps:
1. Get a free instant quote: firstly, enter your details, including name, collection and destination addresses and details of the items you need shipping, into our no-obligation quote engine. Once you've got a clear and accurate cost, use our online booking tool to choose convenient dates for us to send you your boxes and collect them once they're full, then place your order.
2. Pack your possessions: before our driver arrives on collection day, use the shipping boxes and packing supplies we'll provide to wrap your belongings securely. We recommended covering each item individually in plenty of bubble wrap and placing heavier goods at the bottom of the box with lighter pieces on top.
3. Fill in the documentation: lastly, log on to your Seven Seas Worldwide online account and complete the documents available, including an inventory list, optional insurance forms and scans of your passport and visa. You'll then receive a text with your driver's arrival time the night before your chosen pick-up date, and once collected, we'll look after the rest, transporting your boxes overseas, through customs and to their destination. You can even keep an eye on your shipment's journey using our online tracking tool, providing further peace of mind.
Our team of trusted international shippers can transport your belongings to and from Malaysia by sea. Not only is this shipping method the best option for overseas students on tight budgets, but it's also better for the planet than sending goods by air. The estimated transit time for your boxes to reach Malaysia from Hong Kong, or vice versa, is 34 days from the date you've completed the online documentation and we receive payment.
Fortunately, students shipping to Malaysia can import their personal belongings free of charge as long as they meet the following criteria:
- They are the owner of the items and have had them in their possession for at least six months.
- They are present in Malaysia when their shipment arrives.
Please note that Malaysian customs authorities might also ask returning citizens to provide a copy of their identity card or a student visa for those from other nations. Failure to do so can result in additional costs and delays. Take a look at our Malaysia Customs Advice page for more information.
For the safety of their citizens and environment, all countries have a list of items they restrict from importation, so ensure you check our Prohibited Goods page for what you can't bring into Malaysia before you start packing.
What are transit times for shipping boxes to Malaysia from Hong Kong?*
*estimated timings dependent on global shipping circumstances
Studying abroad: top tips for packing your shipping boxes
Stressed about packing your possessions for shipping to Malaysia? Don't worry — moving out of student accommodation doesn't need to be a hassle. Instead, become an instant packing whizz by whacking on a few of your favourite tunes and following these simple tips:
- Give yourself plenty of time: firstly, there's no such thing as being too prepared. Avoid the moving day panic by packing up your boxes and giving your room a decent clean well before our driver arrives to collect your shipment. You'll be less likely to forget things, and the whole process will run much smoother.
- Sort your goods into Keep, Sell and Donate piles: mountains of textbooks. Fancy dress for Fresher's Week. Photos and mementoes from home. The amount of stuff accumulated in your uni room during term time is impressive. However, cutting back on the clutter is a great way to save some of those precious pennies, as the less you ship, the cheaper the cost.
- Consider short-term storage: use our secure, clean and convenient student storage facilities to keep your possessions and household items safe while you move between university accommodation, visit family during the holidays or set off on a backpacking adventure.
- Put towels and bed linen to good use: once you're ready to pack, wrap each item in plenty of bubble wrap and fill any gaps with soft cushion materials like towels, clothing or packing paper to prevent them from banging against each other during transportation.
- Don't be shy with the packing tape: when you've filled your boxes, seal the flaps and seams with several long strips of brown parcel tape. Then, wrap the tape all the way around the container's top and bottom edges where stress is most concentrated. Lastly, use a marker pen to clearly write your name, job number and destination country and city on at least two sides of each box to prevent your shipment from getting lost.
Destinations in Malaysia our student shipping services cover:
From glittering skyscrapers to ancient temples, luxury shopping malls to bustling market stalls, Malaysia's must-visit capital is a city of contrasts.
The gateway to Malaysian Borneo, Kota Kinabalu is surrounded by lush jungle and towering mountain peaks and is famous for its mouthwatering seafood.
This charming riverside town is a fantastic place to immerse yourself in traditional Malaysian culture and escape the fast pace of the bigger cities.
Fill your Instagram feed (and make your friends jealous!) with snaps of George Town's frozen-in-time colonial architecture and world-famous street art.