Our destination-specific customs advice explains the documents you'll need to complete and the requirements you must meet when shipping belongings.
Why choose Seven Seas Worldwide
Purpose-built shipping boxes and materials provided
Enjoy 2 weeks FREE storage before and after shipping
Pick your own dates for shipment delivery and collection
Trusted with your shipments for over 25 years
We handle the quarantine and customs clearance process
We make moving to South Africa simple and stress-free
As one of the world's most picturesque countries, each year South Africa attracts professionals, young families and retirees looking for an affordable and exotic new home abroad. So, why not kickstart your exciting life in the sun today by booking our affordable removal services?
Because we've been successfully helping thousands of people relocate internationally for over 25 years, it's fair to say you're in safe hands. Thanks to our expert local knowledge, dedicated customer support team and quality packing materials, our South African removals service can make your experience straightforward and enjoyable.
Delivering trusted moving services to South Africa for over 25 years
Affordable and easy to use, our international removals services cover all popular destinations in South Africa, including Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Soweto and Pretoria. Read on for just a handful of unbeatable reasons to choose our moving company:
- Free Starter Pack: the MoveCube®, our secure moving crate, includes a measuring tape, a box cutter knife, a marker pen and a roll of parcel tape with a dispenser. Plus, three plastic sheets that, when placed on the floor, can be used to determine how much can fit in a Small, Medium or Large MoveCube®.
- Secure storage: we offer 2 weeks of free storage at our depots in both your origin country and South Africa, allowing you plenty of time to arrange travel and settle into your new home.
- No surprise fees: get a free instant quote today for an itemised, transparent breakdown of all costs involved during each leg of your shipment's removals to South Africa journey.
- Pay in 3 instalments: we won't ask for full payment upfront. Instead, you can spread the cost over three affordable stages.
- Assistance with customs clearance: once you pack your furniture and household items and complete your online documentation, we'll guide you through the customs process.
We ship to South Africa in 5 easy steps
Free online quick quote
Our instant quote tool provides a clear, itemised cost with no hidden fees or nasty surprises.
Pick your dates
When placing your order, choose the materials delivery and shipment collection dates that suit you.
Securely pack your items
We deliver your empty shipping boxes or MoveCube®, ready for you to fill.
We collect and ship
Complete the online documentation. Then we'll transport your shipment to its destination.
Delivered to your address
Our team will clear your goods through customs and deliver them safely to your new home.
South African removals with the MoveCube®
Once you've settled on a dream South African city to move to, the next step is packing all your precious household items. Specifically designed for large international removals, our sturdy and secure MoveCube® offers your worldly possessions complete protection during long journeys. You can fill our shipping container with everything from sofas and sideboards to sports equipment and musical instruments.
The South Africa removals process could not be more simple! First, grab a free instant quote, which includes a full cost breakdown at every stage, and then place an order. Next, let us know suitable dates so we can deliver your free Starter Pack and conduct a site inspection. Then we'll deliver as many MoveCubes® to your door as needed to be loaded by you within an allotted time before transferring them to our nearest depot for international shipping. Finally, fill in all your online documents, and when your goods arrive in South Africa, select a convenient date for us to deliver them to your new home in the sun.
It's understandable to worry about your household items as they travel from New Zealand. For this reason, we've put together a range of comprehensive insurance policies that cover your goods in the rare case of damage or loss. Also, to further ease stress, our online tracking tool lets you monitor your shipment's location.
Specifically designed for large international removals, our sturdy and secure MoveCube® offers your worldly possessions complete protection during long journeys.
See our international MoveCube® in action:
What MoveCube® sizes are there?
The MoveCube® is a secure removals pod designed by our moving experts to transport your precious household goods safely. To suit your needs, the MoveCube® comes in three different sizes: Large, Medium and Small (see below for dimensions). If you have an extra-large amount to move, you may order multiple containers by calling our ever-friendly customer support team.
Our boxes and bags international shipping option is your best choice for smaller moves.
H - 1.871m
W - 1.464m
L - 2.264m
B - 61cm
H - 1.871m
W - 1.464m
L - 1.114m
B - 61cm
H - 1.871m
W - 1.114m
L - 0.964m
B - 61cm
*Please note, the MoveCube® is loaded from the side panel.
FAQs about our South Africa shipping service
Our house removals services offer affordable and transparent international shipping for your specific needs. Depending on your mode of transport, required wait time, and destination city, costs vary. Get started today with a free online quote in just a few minutes.
Your goods could be imported duty-free if one of the following applies:
- You have returned to live in South Africa after no longer than six months and are present when your shipment arrives.
- You have arrived on a foreign passport and intend to settle or work.
- You are not shipping electronic goods. See Prohibited Goods.
Duties and taxes must be paid if the above does not apply to you. For a full breakdown, please reference our Importing into South Africa page.
Once you've completed your booking with our international removals company, log into your account and fill in the following online documents:
- An inventory which lists each item within the MoveCube® container.
- Scans of the picture and signature pages of your passport and your visa, if relevant to you.
- The shipment owner's destination address, email, and contact phone number.
- Optional insurance forms for complete peace of mind.
Please ensure all forms are completed with the utmost accuracy, as South African customs officials will see them. However, our knowledgeable multilingual support team can always answer questions and offer advice.
As an experienced overseas removals company, we know exactly how to support our customers. We offer 2 full weeks of free storage at our depots in your shipment's origin country and South Africa.
If your travel plans change and longer storage is required, let us know, and we can add storage time for your goods for a modest cost.
Like all countries, South Africa has a list of goods that cannot be imported. Please reference our Prohibited Goods page as you pack to avoid fines or delays.
Importing electrical items
The NRCS (National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications) has declared that all electrical items imported into South Africa must have a “manufacturer licence.” It is your responsibility to provide a license for each electrical item in your shipment, for example, a hair dryer, TV, games console, etc. Until you provide all licenses, your shipment will be held in a customs bond and incur very high storage charges.
Seven Seas Worldwide is committed to transparent pricing but cannot give a definitive Destination Charge for such an open-ended commitment. Therefore, we have reluctantly decided to refuse any electrical items in our sea shipments to South Africa.
How long will my removal to South Africa from New Zealand take?*
*estimated timings dependent on global shipping circumstances
4 top tips for secure packing when moving overseas
When preparing for removals to South Africa, it's essential you pack your personal possessions securely. We highly recommend hiring a professional packing service to do it for you. Otherwise, set aside plenty of time and follow our helpful four-point guide below (read our in-depth packing guides for even more advice):
Cut the clutter!:
South Africa's climate and culture means you're unlikely to need all your belongings. So, this is an excellent opportunity to dig through your possessions and sell, donate, or recycle what you no longer need.
eBay and Facebook Marketplace are wonderful opportunities to make money from household items. High street charity shops would be more than happy to take anything spare that's in good condition. For broken, worn, or unusable goods, we suggest taking them to your local recycling centre.
Gently pack fragile goods:
First, secure the bottom of your box by sealing it with three layers of overlapping parcel tape, then repeat the process when securing the top. Next, cover all items in bubble wrap and use several layers for fragile goods such as crockery, picture frames and glass. Then, evenly place heavier items at the bottom of your container with lighter items on top and away from the sides.
Ensure gaps are filled with material such as packing paper or crumpled newspaper to avoid items bumping into each other during transit.
Organise parking for our vehicle:
During your MoveCube® loading day, our driver must be able to park within twenty metres of the entrance to your home. Ensure parking tickets or permits are secured. Doing so will allow you to load within your allotted time slot.
If required, we can provide a trolly to help transfer your possessions. Our experienced driver can also offer tips and advice, but our vehicle must remain within eyesight.
Evenly load the MoveCube®:
Before loading the MoveCube®, lay out the corresponding floor sheets we provide to check your belongings fit inside. To avoid crushing, place the heaviest and largest items on the bottom layer of your MoveCube®, and lighter goods on top.
If you see a gap, try to fill it with a container to lessen movement during transit. Avoid using loose, unboxed items for gaps, as this risks damage to the item and your containers.
Great removals experience from start to finish. Communication was great, and we were informed at every step of the way. All of the drivers we had were super friendly and willing to help. Everything was so easy. No complaints.Rachel
Moving to South Africa: a complete relocation guide
South Africa is as famous for its colourful animal and plant life and exciting outdoor activities as it is for its vibrant music and warm, open people. If you're looking for a country to settle in that's sunny, eclectic, and vibrant, the Rainbow Nation might be the new home for you. But before you pack your bags, let's walk through some essential tips and facts to aid your international relocation.
Types of visas: you must have a valid visa to settle in South Africa. Short-term visitors can be issued visas for up to 90 days unless they are travelling from an exempt country. For full details of who can apply for a permanent residency permit, visit the Offical South African Government website.
Job opportunities: we advise securing a job before entering the country as the job market is competitive. There are more opportunities for qualified and experienced workers, especially in roles such as IT specialists, engineers and medical professionals.
Healthcare: run by South Africa's Department of Health, medical treatment is available via public and private options. Depending on your income and the size of your family, public healthcare is subsidised by up to 40% for citizens. Expats are required to pay full fees.
Education: between the ages of seven and fifteen, schooling is compulsory. World-ranked top 300 places of higher education include the University of Cape Town, Stellenbosch University and the University of the Witwatersrand.
Lifestyle: living an active, healthy life is important to South Africans, as evidenced by many local gyms and an array of popular outdoor activities such as hiking, hand gliding and kitesurfing. As a people, they are friendly, open and sociable, and time spent with friends and family is considered culturally very important. Don't be surprised if strangers start random conversations with you!
Moving abroad to-do list
Our international removals service knows exactly how to make your big move overseas easy. As you prep for the upcoming journey, follow our handy checklist for zero-stress planning:
- Gather your documents: collect all your important documents in one place, such as your passport, birth certificate, proof of address and ID, for ease of access.
- Apply for a visa: research which visa you and your family will need depending on whether you're studying, working, retiring, settling, etc. Then, wait for approval.
- Find accommodation: either sell or rent your current property. We recommend renting a home when you arrive at your destination. Doing so gives you time to acclimatise to your new surroundings and culture before committing to a purchase.
- Book an overseas moving company: begin by visiting our website and grabbing a free quote in minutes. Then, let us know a suitable date to deliver a MoveCube® to your door to be loaded by you.
- Arrange travel: give yourself enough time to book flights so you can arrive at your gorgeous new home ahead of your MoveCube® delivery day.
- Sort your finances: let your banks know you're moving abroad and take out some spare cash to cover any last minutes expenses or emergencies.
- Speak to a doctor: if you currently take any ongoing medicine, ask for a three-month supply. Doing so allows ample time to organise a new doctor once you have settled.
- Pet relocation: are your little furry pals coming along? Make sure they are fully vaccinated and have an up-to-date health certificate from your vet. Then, arrange for a suitable pet carrier for the journey.
- Have a declutter: the more you ship, the more it costs! Be ruthless with your excess clutter, and consider selling, donating, or recycling what you don't need to take with you.
- Pack your belongings: before our driver's arrival with a MoveCube® for you to load, carefully wrap and pack all your personal effects.
- Enjoy life in your new home: we'll notify you after your shipment has successfully cleared through customs. Next, via your online account, let us know a suitable date so we can deliver the MoveCube®. All that's left to do is unpack, kick back, and enjoy your glorious new life in the sun.