Why choose Seven Seas Worldwide
Purpose-built shipping boxes and materials provided
Enjoy 2 weeks FREE storage before and after shipping
Pick your own dates for shipment delivery and collection
Trusted with your shipments for over 25 years
Spread the cost by paying in three instalments
Known for its vibrant history, breath-taking scenery, buzzing cities and collectively drinking 100 million cups of tea a day, moving from South Africa to the UK is sure to be an adventure — especially as you've got four countries to explore for the price of one! Plus, by using Seven Seas Worldwide, overseas removals no longer needs to be a hassle.
Our expert team of international movers have been successfully helping people ship their household belongings from A to B for over 25 years. Whether you're moving to England, Ireland, Wales or Scotland, our door-to-door removals services make relocating abroad seamless, affordable and stress-free.
Making overseas removals to the UK stress-free for over 25 years
If you're searching for an overseas moving company that can provide reliable and efficient removals to the UK, look no further. From shipping boxes of treasured possessions to transporting the entire content's of your home, no job is too big or small, and our wealth of local knowledge and relocation experience is unmatched. Here are just a few of the benefits of hiring our personable team of international movers:
- Free packing materials: we include a free packing starter kit with every MoveCube® to help you securely wrap your goods. It contains a roll of brown parcel tape, a black marker pen, a knife and more.
- Pay in instalments: instead of charging one lump sum, we spread the cost of our removal services. Also, as we pride ourselves on being transparent, our free online quote engine provides a clear, itemised breakdown of all the fees involved, so you won't get any nasty surprises down the line.
- Secure storage included: we understand you might not be moving to the UK directly, which is why we offer two weeks of free storage on either side.
- Pre-notified date slots: for complete convenience, you choose the date's for us to drop off your packing materials, conduct a site inspection and deliver and collect your MoveCube®.
- 10% discount for returning customers: if you need to send more items to the UK or any other of the many countries we ship to, contact our friendly, multilingual team for 10% off.
Our international moving services in 5 steps
Free instant online quote
Get a quick quote offering clear, transparent pricing so you can compare costs.
Pick your dates
When placing your order, choose the shipment collection and delivery dates that suit you.
Securely pack your items
We deliver your empty shipping boxes or MoveCube®, ready for you to fill.
We collect and ship
Our international movers collect your shipment and safely transport it to its destination.
Delivered to your address
Our team will see your goods safely through customs, then deliver them to your new home.
The MoveCube® — a mini shipping container to your door
Relocating to a different country can feel like an ever-growing to-do list of tasks. Thankfully, by hiring Seven Seas Worldwide to do the hard work for you, worrying about the ins and outs of shipping household goods overseas is one thing you can tick off.
Entirely unique to our overseas moving company, the MoveCube® is our revolutionary removals solution. It's essentially a shipping container purposely designed to safely and securely transport furniture and personal belongings internationally that we deliver to your door.
The process begins by generating your free instant shipping quote, selecting convenient dates for us to collect and deliver your shipment and placing an order. We'll then bring your MoveCube® and complimentary packing materials, including brown tape, a black marker pen and, with Large MoveCubes®, purpose-built shipping boxes, directly to your address. Then, complete the online documentation we'll send to your account (don't worry, this is simply an inventory of the items you're shipping and optional insurance forms!), and we'll handle the rest.
There are three sizes of MoveCube® for you to choose from, Small, Medium and Large, and we can also deliver multiple containers for bigger loads. Plus, as you only pay for what you use, if you find you need a smaller cube size, let us know a few working days before, and we'll swap it for you.
It's essentially a shipping container purposely designed to safely and securely transport furniture and personal belongings internationally that we deliver to your door.
See our international MoveCube® in action:
What size is the MoveCube®?
With the MoveCube®, a fresh start in a new country needn't mean leaving behind all of your treasured belongings. This sturdy and secure container can hold everything from boxes of kitchenware and suitcases of clothes to heavier items like furniture and white goods, making it ideal for international removals. Here are the dimensions for the three sizes of MoveCube® we offer, Large, Medium and Small, and remember, you can always order more than one or additional cardboard shipping boxes if necessary.
H - 1.871m
W - 1.464m
L - 2.264m
B - 61cm
H - 1.871m
W - 1.464m
L - 1.114m
B - 61cm
H - 1.871m
W - 1.114m
L - 0.964m
B - 61cm
*Please note, the MoveCube® is loaded from the side panel.
Frequently asked questions about removals to the UK
The best way to get the most accurate price for our international moving services to the UK from South Africa is to fill out our free online shipping quote form. Simply complete the fields and submit, it only takes a few minutes, and it'll give you an itemised breakdown of all of the costs involved, including customs clearance, container handling and other related charges. So, rest assured, you won't be hit with any nasty surprises once you've placed your order.
Unless you're a British citizen moving back home from South Africa, you'll need to obtain a visa if you're planning to live in the UK for longer than six months or wish to work. However, you can import your personal belongings into the country tax-free by completing a Transfer of Residence Relief (ToR01) form, although, to be accepted for this, you must fulfil the following criteria:
- You're returning to the UK as your usual place of residence;
- You've been living outside of the country continuously for at least twelve months;
- You've owned the items in your shipment for at least six months before importing;
- You didn't buy or receive any of the goods you're shipping from duty or tax-free schemes;
- You'll be keeping all the items for personal use and won't sell, hire them out or give them away for at least twelve months after importing;
- If you qualify for tax relief, then you can't ship your personal effects to the UK earlier than six months before or later than twelve months after your arrival.
For us to send your shipment, you'll need to complete the online documentation we'll send to your Seven Seas Worldwide account, including:
- An accurate inventory of the items you're importing
- Relevant customs forms
- Scans of your passport and visa, if applicable
- Optional insurance on your goods in case a mishap occurs
Don't worry, though — there're plenty of helpful pointers to guide you through the process, and you can always contact our expert team if you require any additional assistance.
Also, please note that for international removals to the UK, you'll need to complete a "For Transfer of Residence to UK" form and submit it online directly to HMRC for a decision as to whether you qualify for a duty-free entry.
At Seven Seas Worldwide, we can transport removals to the UK by either sea. Sea shipping is the cheapest option, perfect if you're sending several MoveCube's®, and takes 68 days to reach its destination.
Another feature of our service that makes us stand above other overseas removals companies is our online tracking tool, allowing you to check on your shipments travels and offering further peace of mind.
There are certain items you're prohibited from shipping to the UK from South Africa for security and customs purposes. These include:
- Illegal drugs and narcotics
- E-cigarettes, vape pens, vapour cigarettes
- Food items and drinks
- Counterfeit or pirated goods
- Weapons, replica weapons
Our Prohibited Goods page contains a comprehensive list of all the items you can't send along with specific service-based restrictions.
How long do removals to the UK from South Africa take?*
*estimated timings dependent on global shipping circumstances
Learn how to pack your MoveCube® in 4 simple steps
When moving to the UK from South Africa, packing up all your possessions for overseas removals can be daunting. While our MoveCube® provides maximum security and protection, it's also essential you wrap your goods well to ensure they arrive in one piece — learn how to pack smartly by following these four easy steps (more information can be found on our Moving FAQs page):
Set up a packing station and go room by room:
Before packing, gather your shipping boxes, brown tape, scissors, bubble wrap and any other tools or materials you might need (all of which Seven Seas Worldwide can provide!). Next, go through each room in your property and decide which belongings to donate, sell and keep. While we certainly don't suggest getting rid of your most treasured possessions, the less you take with you, the cheaper it'll cost to ship your consignment.
Wrap fragile items with extra care:
There's no such thing as too much bubble wrap when packing up fragile objects. Once securely wrapped, pack them into sturdy containers, like the double-walled, chemically-hardened cardboard boxes we include with Large MoveCube® orders, putting the heaviest goods at the bottom. Then, fill any gaps with cushioning materials like towels, crumpled newspaper or more bubble wrap.
Make an inventory and label your boxes:
Writing a detailed inventory of the goods you're shipping is not only an essential part of the documentation process for international removals, but it also gives you a clear idea of what's going into each container. Also, don't forget to label at least one side of every box with your name, job number and details of its contents, so you know which room to place them in after reopening your MoveCube®.
Pack a box of essentials and load it last:
Want to know our top tip to avoid unnecessary stress when packing your belongings? Keep one box aside and fill it with essentials like important files, toiletries, and kitchenware, and ensure it's the last thing you load into your MoveCube®. Then, when you get to your destination, you'll have all the items you're likely to need urgently on hand from the start. Happy days!
I found the whole Seven Seas Worldwide experience faultless and professional, from the organization and preparation of our shipment and the person who picked up our possessions right through to the delivery, and Matt, the driver here in the UK, was very friendly and helpful in the final phase. I would definitely use Seven Seas Worldwide in the future.Christopher Harry
Moving to the UK: Relocation guide
Whether you're relocating for a dream job, studying at a world-renowned university or simply off on an adventure, what better place to move than the dear old Blighty, where the people are polite, the humour's tongue-in-cheek and the pubs are plentiful. However, before you pack your bags and book your flights, there're a few things you need to know about moving to the UK:
Types of visas: the type of UK visa you choose will depend on your reasons for relocating to the country, with the most common ones being Skilled Worker and Student visas. Do note, though, you can only apply three months before the start of your new job or university course.
Job opportunities: career opportunities are most plentiful in UK cities such as London, Manchester and Edinburgh, especially in the financial and technology sectors. Britain also boasts an excellent work-life balance as, by law, companies have to offer at least 28 days holiday, and most office-based roles stick to regular nine-to-five hours.
Healthcare: once you become a legal resident in the UK, you'll have access to top-notch free healthcare through the National Health Service (NHS). However, you do have to pay for dentistry treatments and opticians.
Education: the UK is chock-a-block with exemplary educational institutions, from secondary schools to universities. In fact, the Brits practically invented the concept of higher education, and both Oxford and Cambridge consistently rank in the top ten best universities in the world.
Lifestyle: while they're famous for their sarcastic wit, the British are also big-hearted and have a long history of warmly welcoming other nationalities to their country. And don't worry about the weather, as a drizzly day offers the perfect opportunity to indulge in classic UK comfort food like fish and chips or a Sunday roast.
Moving overseas checklist
There's a lot to juggle when relocating overseas, from visa applications to packing up your possessions. However, armed with the correct information and an experienced international removals company, the process is much more straightforward. Kick-start your preparations with this handy checklist.
- Gather your documents: putting important files, such as financial records, birth certificates and insurance policies, away in a folder will help to prevent any last-minute panics on moving day.
- Apply for an appropriate visa: research UK visas, then apply for the one most suited to your situation and await approval.
- Find somewhere to live: once you've acquired a visa, decide whether you're going to sell or rent your current property, or cancel your lease if you're not an owner. It's wise to rent before buying a home in your new location to give you enough time to adjust.
- Order your MoveCube(s)®: get your free online quote, then choose the best time for us to deliver your MoveCube(s)® and starter kit, and place your order.
- Make travel arrangements: set a date for the big move and book your flights.
- Contact the bank: before you leave, ensure your bank and credit card providers are aware you're relocating to the UK and put aside a little emergency money for last-minute expenses.
- Book an appointment with a doctor: if you take any regular medication, contact your physician and ask for a three-month prescription, so you have plenty while you're arranging healthcare in your new home.
- Organise transport for pets: if you're planning to take your four-legged friends with you on your adventure, ensure they're vaccinated and contact a pet carrier to transport them safely.
- Have a clear out: to keep the cost of international removals low, go through your home and sort your possessions into sell, donate and keep piles.
- Wrap your goods securely: before loading your MoveCube®, use plenty of bubble wrap to protect your belongings and pack them into sturdy shipping boxes — the ones Seven Seas Worldwide can provide are specially designed for long journeys.
- Settle into your new home: once we've transported your goods to their destination, unpack and let the adventure begin!
Our international removals depots in the UK
The capital of the UK is one of the oldest's cities in the world and has a rich history spanning almost two millennia.
The powerhouse of Northern England, Manchester boasts a diverse culture, lively nightlife and cracking football teams.
This bustling city is home to some of the UK's friendliest locals and close to the most stunning countryside in the North East.
One of Scotland's most popular cities, there are endless things to see and do in Glasgow, just don't forget to try a deep-fried Mars bar.
A good midway point between several other of the UK's biggest cities, Swindon has affordable properties and low crime rates.
Famous for kick-starting the Industrial Revolution, Birmingham is now a thriving cultural hub with a friendly atmosphere.