Why choose Seven Seas Worldwide?
Purpose-built shipping boxes and materials provided
Enjoy 2 weeks FREE storage before and after shipping
Pick your own dates for shipment delivery and collection
Trusted with your shipments for over 25 years
We handle the quarantine and customs clearance process
Removals to Portugal: all you need to know
Thanks to year-long sunshine, friendly locals and rich historical sites, Portugal is one of the most popular European destinations for expats. From professionals and students to young families and retirees, the Iberian Peninsula in Western Europe is a charming new home for many. So, why not get your new life in the sun started today using our international removals company?
With over 25 years of experience helping people relocate worldwide, we simplify the entire process. Our in-depth local knowledge and multilingual customer support make us a standout in the overseas removal industry.
Trusted removals to Portugal for over 25 years
Cost-effective and easy-to-use, our international removals service covers all cities and towns in the Portuguese Republic, including Lisbon, Braga, Porto, Vila Nova de Gaia, and Funchal. Here are a few more reasons to choose our moving company:
- Free packing materials: with each MoveCube® order, you'll receive a measuring tape, a box cutter knife, a marker pen and a roll of parcel tape and a dispenser. Plus, three plastic floor sheets that help you estimate how much can fit in a Large, Medium or Small MoveCube®.
- Fully secure storage: 2 weeks of free storage at your origin country and our Belgium depot before moving your shipment to Portugal.
- No hidden fees: as transparent worldwide shippers, our free instant quote tool displays a complete cost breakdown.
- Pay in instalments: we won't ask for full payment as soon as you book. Instead, pay in several convenient stages throughout your shipment's journey.
- Full customs clearance: as experienced international removers, we guide your household goods through customs. All you need to do is pack your possessions and complete your online documents.
How our European removal services work in 5 steps
Free online quick quote
Our instant quote tool provides a clear, itemised cost with no hidden fees or nasty surprises.
Pick your dates
When placing your order, choose the materials delivery and shipment collection dates that suit you.
Securely pack your items
We deliver your empty shipping boxes or MoveCube®, ready for you to fill.
We collect and ship
Complete the online documentation. Then we'll transport your shipment to its destination.
Delivered to your address
Our team will clear your goods through customs and deliver them safely to your new home.
International moves to Portugal with the MoveCube®
Once you've settled on a gorgeous Portuguese city to move to, it's time to pack your household items and have them shipped. The MoveCube®, our secure moving crate, works as your own mini shipping container. You can fill it with anything in your home, from beds and bikes to kitchen appliances and furniture.
To get started, generate a quick free quote and place an order. Then, choose a date for us to complete a site inspection and hand over your free Starter Pack. Next, we'll bring a MoveCube® to your door to be loaded by you within a specified time. Once loaded, we'll transport it to our nearest depot. Finally, complete your online documentation. Once your shipment arrives in Portugal, we'll deliver the MoveCube® on your scheduled delivery date.
Waving goodbye to your precious household possessions as they travel overseas can be difficult. For extra peace of mind, we offer comprehensive insurance policies. Plus, you can monitor your MoveCube®'s location via our online tracker.
The MoveCube®, our secure moving crate, works as your own mini shipping container. You can fill it with anything in your home, from beds and bikes to kitchen appliances and furniture.
See our international MoveCube® in action:
What sizes of the MoveCube® moving pod are there?
The MoveCube® is a shipping crate unique to our international moving company. It offers your household goods complete protection over long worldwide journeys via land and sea. It is available in three sizes: Large, Medium, and Small (see below for dimensions). You can order more than one MoveCube® for large households by contacting our friendly customer support team.
If you only have a few items to send, our ship boxes and bags service is your most affordable option.
H - 1.871m
W - 1.464m
L - 2.264m
B - 61cm
H - 1.871m
W - 1.464m
L - 1.114m
B - 61cm
H - 1.871m
W - 1.114m
L - 0.964m
B - 61cm
*Please note, the MoveCube® is loaded from the side panel.
FAQs about our overseas moving services
International removal costs vary depending on where you're going and how much you're shipping. Use our free online quote tool for a cost breakdown specific to your needs.
There are no duties on shipping used personal items. However, please be aware that customs officials might request the shipment owner is present in the country before their shipment arrives.
Check out our Prohibited Goods page for an up-to-date list of items banned from importation.
After you've booked our removal services, log into your online account and complete the following documents:
- An inventory listing the entire contents of the MoveCube®.
- Scans of the shipment owner's valid passport picture and signature pages.
- Destination address, email, and contact phone number of the shipment owner.
- Optional insurance forms to protect your household goods in the rare case of loss or damage.
Customs officials will review these forms, so accuracy is a must. Our multilingual customer support team can help if you have any questions.
We do! For international removals, you can enjoy 2 weeks of free storage at our secure storage facilities in your origin country and our Belgium depot before being relocated to Portugal.
If your plans change and you need longer storage, let us know 24 hours or more ahead of your MoveCube® loading day.
Like all countries, Portugal has a list of prohibited goods banned from importation. Such safeguards have been put in place to protect its citizens and environment. Please reference our Prohibited Goods page as you pack to avoid costly fines or delays.
How long do removals to Portugal from South Africa take?*
*estimated timings dependent on global shipping circumstances
How to pack boxes for international relocation in 4 steps
When relocating overseas, it's essential to wrap and pack your household items securely. We recommend hiring a professional packer to do it for you, removing stress. If packing alone, give yourself plenty of time and follow the 4 steps below. Check out our in-depth packing guides for further advice, including How to load a MoveCube® and How to pack our boxes.
Cut down on clutter!:
Walk from room to room and decide what you need to take. Decluttering is an excellent opportunity to say goodbye to possessions simply taking up space. After all, you save money the less you ship.
eBay and Facebook Marketplace are excellent resources to generate extra cash for unwanted goods. For everything else, high street charity shops will happily take them. If you have any broken or unusable items, take them to your local recycling centre.
Be gentle with fragile items:
Create a base by sealing your box's cardboard flaps with three layers of overlapping parcel tape. Repeat when sealing the top. Cover every item in bubble wrap and use two or more layers for fragile goods. Place heavy items at the bottom and lighter effects on top.
If you see any gaps, fill them with soft materials like towels or packing paper. When your box is complete, give it a little shake. If you hear a sound, add more soft materials.
Guarantee a parking spot for our vehicle:
Buy any necessary parking tickets or permits before the MoveCube® arrives for a successful loading day. Our driver must be able to park within twenty meters of your building's entrance.
It is your responsibility to load the MoveCube®. Our driver can loan you a trolley to help move containers, but they must always keep the vehicle within their line of sight.
Spread weight evenly in the MoveCube®:
Before loading the MoveCube®, use the corresponding floor sheets in your Starter Pack to check your possessions fit inside. Place heavy items at the bottom and centre and lighter containers on top and to the sides.
If you see a space, try to fill it with a container. Avoid using loose items, which could easily break or cause damage during transit.
Super quick and easy service. Very good communication and prompt bookings for deliveries. Our goods arrived in perfect condition, and the scheduled pick-up and delivery were a breeze. They give very useful information to ensure you don't get any unwanted charges at the border or during transport. It really took a load off our minds during the move. I would highly recommend this service: very friendly and helpful staff and very affordable for the door-to-door services on offer.Lydia
Relocating to Portugal: a step-by-step guide
In Portuguese culture, people prioritise time spent with their families and making the most of the beautiful weather. So, if you're relocating for a slower pace of life, somewhere to raise a family, or a laid-back home to retire to, Portugal is the place to be. But before you race to the airport, here are some essential facts to help with your relocation:
Types of visas: European Union and Schengen Area citizens can reside in Portugal for up to three months before registering with local authorities. If you are a non-EU citizen wanting to settle, you must apply for a residency visa. Entry requirements include intent to study, work and having enough funds to retire.
Job opportunities: learning Portuguese is highly beneficial as fewer English-speaking jobs are available. In-demand roles include hotel workers, Information Technology (IT) experts and healthcare professionals.
Healthcare: Serviço Nacional de Saúde (SNS) provides publicly-funded universal health coverage for all but does not include dental care. It is free for those under 18s or over 65s, and costs are low for everyone else.
Education: schooling is free and compulsory for children aged six to eighteen. Pre-school is available to children aged three to five. High-ranking institutions of further education include the University of Lisbon and the University of Porto.
Lifestyle: as one of the warmest European countries, it's enough to tempt anyone to move to Portugal. However, the welcoming people, historical sites and delicious wine might be why you stay. From the delicious food to the laid-back way of life, there's plenty for expats to savour.
European relocation checklist
Our overseas movers take the stress out of shipping your home contents to Portugal. However, this handy list can help guide you through everything else:
- Gather your documents: place all essential documents, such as bank statements, passports and birth certificates, in one place. Doing so gives you quick access to them when needed.
- Apply for a visa: thoroughly research the correct Portuguese visa for you and your family, then apply and await approval.
- Arrange accommodation: sell or rent your home, then decide whether to buy or rent once in Portugal. Renting gives you more time to settle into your new surroundings before making a big decision, such as purchasing a home.
- Book an international moving company: generate a quick free quote on our website, then let us know a suitable date to bring a MoveCube® or MoveCubes® to your home to be loaded by you.
- Arrange travel: as a customs rule, you must arrive in Portugal before your shipment. Book flights as soon as possible and settle into your new home completely stress-free.
- Sort your finances: inform your bank you're leaving the country. Remember to withdraw some spare cash for last-minute purchases and emergencies.
- Speak to a doctor: if you take regular medication, request a three-month supply. You will then have plenty of time to arrange new healthcare once in Portugal.
- Pet relocation: if your four-legged friends are joining you, arrange their vaccinations and secure a safe pet carrier for transportation.
- Have a declutter: consider what household goods you need to take. The less you ship, the cheaper it will be. Sell, donate, or recycle what you no longer need.
- Pack your belongings: carefully wrap and pack all your household effects. Then, for a successful MoveCube® loading day, take them as close to the entrance of your home as you can.
- Settle into your new home: we'll notify you once your shipment has cleared customs. Then, log in to your online account and schedule a delivery date. Finally, unload your possessions and get your exciting new life in the sun started!